I’m known for switching meals around and having breakfast for dinner and dinner for breakfast. I don’t discriminate.
So last night I wasn’t really feeling traditional dinner vibes. I was craving something sweeter, but that would still fill me just enough to get me through the night without awakening at 3:00 AM starving.
Specifically, I was craving an acai bowl. So I diligently listened to my body and proceeded to take inventory of the items in my refrigerator that would make decent ingredients. Having just read a paper about phytonutrients and their key role in promoting health and warding off disease, I decided to line up my anthocyanins, polyphenols, flavonoids and carotenoids rich foods and create a powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant bowl.
I am happy to announce I was not disappointed – it tasted heavenly and, most importantly, I did not wake up at 3:00 AM ravenous. Win, win, win!
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 5 sweet dark cherries
- 1 pack of acai pure
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup of coconut water (adjust to desired consistency)
- 5 hazelnuts
- 1 heaping tbsp of almond butter
- 1 scoop of Amazing Grass Protein Superfood
- 1 tbsp of coconut flakes
- handful of raspberries
- handful of walnuts
- 1 tbsp of pomegranate seeds
- Combine the banana, sweet dark cherries, acai pure, coconut water, hazelnuts, almond butter and protein scoop in a blender, mix throughougly.
- Scoop the contents into a bowl. Top with the coconut flakes, raspberries, walnuts and pomegranate seeds.