Being a nutritionist, people often ask me about easy recipes that are healthy and quick to prepare (AND taste good). You know, the usual. So I need to have a few tricks up my sleeve in order to keep up with the demand for convenience, speed and taste.
This five spice gluten-free apple cinnamon “oatmeal” (it’s in fact only oat bran) was created one of those mornings when you open the refrigerator and notice all your usual GO-TOs are GONE. While staring at the emptiness, I spotted a solitary granny smith apple on the corner top shelf. That’s when a lightbulb went off.
I promptly gathered other ingredients that would combine well with that apple to help concoct a decent, filling and healthy breakfast. These were the winners:
- Flaxseed: high in fiber, omega 3 (ALA), protein, B1, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, and selenium.
- Pomegranates: packed with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant bioactive compounds, it has been studied for its weight management, memory boosting, cancer fighting, blood pressure lowering effects.
- Five Spice Powder: I love this mix of spices.It has cinnamon, fennel, cloves, star anise and white pepper. This blend is a powerhouse of anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, anti-fungal, and antioxidant compounds, plus it tastes great and it’s wonderful for digestion.
- Antler Farms – Whey Protein: this whey protein is by far my favorite. It’s made from the milk of grass-fed cows in New Zealand, has limited ingredients, all of which are organic. It’s also naturally sweetened with stevia. It tastes a-ma-zing!
- Bobs Red Mill – Gluten-free Oat Bran: high in soluble and insoluble fiber, protein, B1, phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, selenium and iron. Great to add some extra nutrition and keep you feeling full for a longer time. Plus it gives it a great consistency.
So let’s get to it.
Servings: 1 | Total time: 10-15 min
- 1 granny smith apple
- 1-2 tsp Five Spice Powder
- 2 tbsp of Bobs Red Mill – GF Oat Bran
- 1 scoop of whey protein
- 2-3 tbsp of pomegranate seeds
- 2 tbsp of ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup of water
- Core the apple and cut into smaller pieces.
- Place the apple pieces into a small pan and pour the water.
- Sprinkle GF oat bran on top of the apple pieces.
- Add the five spice powder.
- Cook over medium heat until the apple pieces are soft, mixing about 2 times (about 7-8 min).
- Remove from heat and blend on a NutriBullet or a regular blender.
- Top with the flaxseeds and pomegranates and enjoy!
*You can also add other toppings. I love adding hazelnuts, blueberries, raspberries and shredded coconut from time to time.
If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it!